Once again, one thing in this bubbly sounding language [and culture] has gotten a new meaning to me. It is fun to play with slang and sayings, as I said in the previous posting, but I recommend checking out what they really mean before using them. Just in case.
I ended up gladly using a word that my southern mates use so frequently in a very cool way. I thought I had understood this expressional word completely. After a local friend of mine got me wrong when using “the word” I decided to discuss its meaning with a colleague.
Ha-ha! Now as a much wiser I know that the word I used sometimes [not too often, as somehow it was too cool to my mouth] can be used in many different ways and has a different meaning in different parts of Brazil. In the South it does mean “cool”, “great” etc. whereas here in the North it is to express something very negatively and in a gross way. Basically it is a rough word that is used to talk about great things in both, good and bad… Its one of those words you wouldn’t use with elderly people or so.
I ended up gladly using a word that my southern mates use so frequently in a very cool way. I thought I had understood this expressional word completely. After a local friend of mine got me wrong when using “the word” I decided to discuss its meaning with a colleague.
Ha-ha! Now as a much wiser I know that the word I used sometimes [not too often, as somehow it was too cool to my mouth] can be used in many different ways and has a different meaning in different parts of Brazil. In the South it does mean “cool”, “great” etc. whereas here in the North it is to express something very negatively and in a gross way. Basically it is a rough word that is used to talk about great things in both, good and bad… Its one of those words you wouldn’t use with elderly people or so.
So, for some reason I’ve decided to stick up with other expressions… And I reckon I’ve learnt my lesson! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment